By Danielle Schwaderer, ND
Steam inhalations provide therapeutic benefits to ailments of the respiratory tract. This home remedy can provide relief to irritated tissues of the upper respiratory tract, nasal and sinus cavities. When combined with herbs or essential oils, steam inhalations can deliver healing volatile oils to the targeted area for enhanced tissue healing during cold or flu, bronchitis, sinusitis or sinus infection, allergies, runny nose or cough.
1. In a large pot or pan, fill with water.
2. Add herbs or essential oils of your choice (see below for recommendations).
3. Bring water and herbs/oils to a boil.
4. Turn off burner.
5. Drape a hand towel over the back and top of the head.
6. Slowly lower the head from far away to the pot, testing the temperature of the steam.
7. Stay in position where steam is tolerable and breathe as many times as possible.
8. Alternate slow breaths: Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Inhale through the mouth and exhale through the nose. As many times as possible.
9. You can cover the pot and leave on the stove until the next inhalation. Discard ingredients after 24 hours.
Dr. Danielle's Top Herb & Essential Oil Picks:
Many fresh, dried or organic essential oils can be used to augment the therapeutic effects of steam inhalation. The top pics for therapeutic effects to the respiratory system are listed below:
Suggested Use: Perform steam inhalations multiple times per day when acutely ill. Steam inhalations are recommended for adults only.
*Caution is advised: Steam can burn the skin. Lower your head slowly towards the steam, testing the temperature. Be sure to turn off the stove prior to performing the inhalation.
About Our Blog: